Celebrating the 750th Anniversary of the Grand Union of the Augustinian Order
Back to Exhibits Archive
Back to The Role of the Papacy in the Foundation of the Order
The Roman church, Santa Maria del Popolo, was the site of the 1244 and 1256 unions. The Church was given to the Tuscan Hermits and passed to the care of the Order. In 1472 the original medieval church was completely renovated in the Lombard style. The Augustinians continue to care for the church, which contains many important artistic monuments.